David Swanzy Papers
Scope and Contents
This collection contains papers relating to the New Orleans Philharmonic Symphony Society, primarily for the years 1988-1989, when David Swanzy was the Symphony’s acting executive director. Highlights of the collection include correspondence, board minutes, financial statements, master business plan, fund raising plans, biographies of guest musicians and conductors, programs and promotional materials. The collection is supplemented by newspaper clippings.
- Created: 1982-1993
- Other: Majority of material found in 1988-1989
- Other: Date acquired: 06/11/2000
- Swanzy, David Paul (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research use.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the J. Edgar and Louis S. Monroe Library, Loyola University New Orleans. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. Copyright Laws.
Biographical or Historical Information
David Swanzy received his undergraduate degree in 1958 from Centenary College (Shreveport, La.) and his Ph.D. in 1966 from Michigan State University (East Lansing).
The majority of David Swanzy's professional life was spent in New Orleans, where he was Dean of the College of Music of Loyola University. He also served temporarily as the New Orleans Symphony as its Executive Director. Similarly, he held an appointment with the National Endowment for the Arts in Washington, D.C. in their music executive-exchange program.
Prior to his work in New Orleans, he held professorships at Southern Methodist University and the Edinboro University of Pennsylvania. He was also a visiting professor at Arizona State University, Brigham Young University, and the Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music. Mr. Swanzy founded the Louisiana/Texas Composer's Retreat in Shelby County, Texas and, during the 1980's, established the Leadville, Colorado Summer Music Festival. He is now in retirement as Dean Emeritus of the College of Music, Loyola University New Orleans.
The New Orleans Philharmonic–Symphony Society grew out of the 1944 merger of the New Orleans Civic Symphony Orchestra, which was founded in 1936, and the New Orleans Philharmonic Society. At first they called themselves the New Orleans Symphony Society, but the organization would go on to rename itself twice more: the New Orleans Philharmonic-Symphony Society in 1952 and the New Orleans Symphony in 1989. The organization went bankrupt in 1991. Members of the defunct group went on to form the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra.
Note written by
1.00 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The papers are organized alphabetically by subject matter, then chronologically.
Source of Acquisition
Swanzy, David Paul
Method of Acquisition
Existence and Location of Originals
multi-part note content
- Swanzy, David Paul (Person)
- David Swanzy Papers of the New Orleans Philharmonic Symphony Society
- McReynolds, Rosalee
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the J. Edgar and Louis S. Monroe Library, Special Collections & Archives Repository
6363 St Charles Ave
New Orleans 70118 US